Locators vanishing

05-13-2019 08:06 AM
RobJackson
New Contributor

Just a heads up but I design a couple locators for multiple maps that I have in a project and from time to time, for no consistent reason that I can surmise, they just vanish and I have to rebuild them. Is this a known bug?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you provide more details about the problem?

1. What tool was used to create the locator
  2. Which application was used to create the locator in? (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro)
  3. Where was the locator stored when it was created?
  4. Is the locator that gets created only disappearing in the project or on the file system  where the locator was saved as well?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you rebuild the locator(s) on a regular basis as the data gets updated?  If so, did your locator disappear after an address locator rebuild (as opposed to creating a new locator)?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I ALSO have had this issue.  

I rebuild the locators on about a monthly basis.  There's no rhyme or reason for when they "disappear" from ArcGIS Pro projects.  

The locators themselves are still there (located on my C drive) they just don't show up in the Locate tab in my Pro project.  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin:

1. Are the locators that are disappearing on you created with the Create Address Locator tool or the Create Locator tool?

2. What version of ArcGIS Pro did you encounter this behavior?

3. Does the locator that is rebuilt not show in the Catalog pane under the Locators folder and in the Locate pane in the Provider Settings?

Settings tab of Locate pane

Are you using the Rebuild Address Locator tool to rebuild the locator? If so, do you remove the locator from the project before running the tool?

-Shana

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shana,

1. They were created with the Create Address Locator tool.  I plan on creating one with Create Locator once I figure out the other error I’m getting with that (separate issue)
  2. Currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.2 but it has happened sporadically with earlier versions
  3. Once I rebuild the locator using ArcGIS Pro they will show up again both in the Catalog under Locators, as well as in the Locate tab in the project.  BUT, that doesn’t explain them randomly disappearing.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin, when you say you rebuild the locator do you mean you create it again with the Create Locator tool or use the Rebuild Address Locator tool?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am working on testing the rebuild of a composite address locator (both pointaddress role and streetaddress role) in Pro 2.8.3.  I used the Rebuild Locator in the Pro project where the address locator was saved into.  I received an error message that the Rebuild Locator geoprocess failed and the composite address locator was no longer in the project.  I closed out of the project without saving and then re-opened the project.  The composite address locator was back and it appeared that the composite address locator was rebuilt with up-to-date data even though Pro gave me a message that the Rebuild Locator tool failed.

Has anyone seen this issue occur?

0 Kudos