Use feature attributes as raster values (Feature in Raster conversion)

04-23-2019 06:50 AM
JSchumacher
New Contributor

Hello esri community.

Not sure if this is actually the place to ask for support, but anyway  I am wondering if there is a way to use an attribute of a feature class as the raster value in the output raster of the "feature in raster" conversion. My attribute table has a field with the values 20, 24 and 28. However, the raster values will be 1, 2 or 3 in the Output raster if I select this field as the value field. It's possible to re-classify those values as it's only three in this case, but once there are more attribute values this will take too long. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You could reclass them in the featureclass table if that is an issue, but since your inputs are integer, you can always update using

Build Raster Attribute Table—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan's statement seems to suggest you can edit VALUE in the raster attribute table. This is not true, VALUE is derived from the raster data and cannot be modified (like OBJECTID it's a read only field).

If you convert to raster using your original field, use the Reclassify tool to convert your raster cell values -- or, add a field to the raster attribute table, populate it for each corresponding VALUE record, and use Lookup (or Lookup() in Raster Calculator) to convert the raster values to your lookup values (1,2,3).  I think Reclassify is what you are looking for here.

BTW I recommend trying the newer Polygon To Raster tool as it gives you more control over how the conversion happens than the older Feature To Raster tool.

0 Kudos