user interface customizations in arcgis 10

03-01-2011 08:56 AM
RuthEmerick
New Contributor II
I'm looking to deploy a script to multiple users via a custom button on a toolbar in ArcMap, but I'm a bit unsure how to do this seeing as ESRI has dropped support for .mxt templates (see link below). Before, it was easy to replace a user's Normal.mxt file with a custom one that contained special toolbars/buttons. Has anyone found a workaround for this short of adding the custom button in each individual template .mxd and user created .mxd?

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2010/06/14/What_1920_s-new-for-map-templates-i...

Thanks in advance for any feedback from the community!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
At ArcGIS 10 ESRI has implemented add-ins as a replacement to the old .mxt model.

http://blogs.esri.com/dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2010/05/05/add_2d00_ins-for-arcgis-desktop-10....

Also, python script tools can now be added as buttons within ArcMap and utilizing the new arcpy site package mapping module extends functionality into map document management and output.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Geoprocessing_scripts_for_map_document...
0 Kudos
RuthEmerick
New Contributor II
Thanks. The first link was very useful.
0 Kudos
ScottOatley
New Contributor II

Also, python script tools can now be added as buttons within ArcMap and utilizing the new arcpy site package mapping module extends functionality into map document management and output.

Where might I find information on adding an arcpy script as a button?

Thanks,
Scott
0 Kudos
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
To add a geoprocessing tool or a custom python script tool as a button in ArcMap:

1) Open the "Customize" menu.
2) Select "Customize Mode"
3) Select the "Commands" tab
4) Scroll to the bottom of "Categories:" to find [Geoprocessing Tools] and select it.
5) Click the new "Add Tools..." button that appears at the bottom of the menu.
6) In the "Add Tools" popup window, navigate to the appropriate toolbox and select the desired geoprocessing/script tool.
7) In the right pane "Commands:" click hold the new geoprocessing/script tool and then drag it up to the desired toolbar.
😎 To customize the button's symbol right click on the new button in the toolbar and either select "Change Button Image" or "Browse for Image"
9) Click the Close button on the "Customize" menu .

Your geoprocessing/script tool should be ready for use.

Joel
0 Kudos
ScottOatley
New Contributor II
Thanks Joel, steps 1 through 7 worked perfectly and the script runs correctly. However, when I right click on the tool to customize the symbol, it brings up the standard toolbar selection menu.

Scott
0 Kudos
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
Thanks Joel, steps 1 through 7 worked perfectly and the script runs correctly. However, when I right click on the tool to customize the symbol, it brings up the standard toolbar selection menu.

Scott

Scott,

The "Customize" window must be open for the customize options to appear when you right click the tool.

Joel
0 Kudos
ScottOatley
New Contributor II
I see; my bad. Got it to work.

Thank you very much!!

Scott
0 Kudos