use desktop with collector

02-13-2019 09:05 AM
JimONeill
New Contributor

We have desktop licensing for all of our products including an internal ArcGIS Server.  Can someone point me to some good documentation for using ArcGIS Desktop with ArcGIS Collector?  I found some vague documents but nothing that could help get something going.  I have a user that wishes to collect points in the field and use them internally whether in ArcMap or another application.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jim,

> We have desktop licensing for all of our products including an internal ArcGIS Server.  Can someone point me to some good documentation for using ArcGIS Desktop with ArcGIS Collector?

Collector for ArcGIS works with web maps that contain feature layers.

You can created editable data in ArcGIS Desktop (stored in an enterprise geodatabase), then publish the data as a feature service in ArcGIS Server, then register the feature service with an ArcGIS Online organization to enable a feature layer, add it to a web map, then access in the field with Collector for ArcGIS.

After collecting data in the field with Collector, the data is stored back in the enterprise geodatabase - which ArcGIS Desktop can edit as well.

FYI, Collector for ArcGIS: An Introduction Video | Esri 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos