Is there a way to change the source of an existing table frame in a pro layout?

Jump to solution
01-31-2019 01:53 AM
GISTeam4
Occasional Contributor

I wondered since i can see the option under properties of the table frame but the option is always greyed out.

With some tasks i have to change the source but the table frame can stay exacty like it is because the new source has exactly the same design.

And why would there be the option while it never functions? Just wondering.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Liedeke, 

We are currently working on a solution for re-sourcing the table frame.  Hopefully it will be available with the 2.4 release sometime in 2019 (probably around the User Conference). I say hopefully, because this is something I cannot guarantee. But we are working on it. It is even possible that we may have a beta version of this new functionality in the 2.4 beta.  Is this something you may be interested in? 

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a workaround that does not include removing the existing table frame and adding a new one.

Tom

View solution in original post

11 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Liedeke, 

Currently there is no way to re-source a table frame. There is an enhancement issue for this - ENH-000113209. We are aware that this limits the functionality of table frames and are working towards a solution. Hopefully, this is something we can address in the next year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

0 Kudos
GISTeam4
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tom, for your reply.

Does an enhancement mean as much as a work a round? I can't find anything on ENH-000113209. A last question, which year do you mean by 'the next year', as this can have consequences for any decisions concerning development of workflows.

Thanks again,

Liedeke

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Liedeke, 

We are currently working on a solution for re-sourcing the table frame.  Hopefully it will be available with the 2.4 release sometime in 2019 (probably around the User Conference). I say hopefully, because this is something I cannot guarantee. But we are working on it. It is even possible that we may have a beta version of this new functionality in the 2.4 beta.  Is this something you may be interested in? 

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a workaround that does not include removing the existing table frame and adding a new one.

Tom

GISTeam4
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the feedback. Very good to hear it's being worked on. I am certainly interested in trying the functionality in a beta version. Around summertime we start the bulk of creating pdf maps with table frames again (sort of a seasonal thing in our company for contract field work).

Kind regards,

Liedeke

0 Kudos
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

I am having this trouble as well. I've tried removing the table frame, but the option to add a new one is greyed out. I'm stuck with the table frame I have and can't make changes. I've even tried copying my layout to a new layout, but insert table frame is still greyed out

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Levi, 

Not being able to remove/delete a table frame would be a fairly serious issue.  Are able to delete the existing table frame from the page?

The ability to re-source the table frame to point to another layer (present in any map frame on the active layer) is something that is currently being worked (as specified in this thread).

When you attempt to add a new table frame do you have a layer selected in the Contents pan? This would be one reason why the button is grayed out. Another reason is you are attempting to add a table frame for a layer4 that isn't supported (e.g. basemap layers). What kind of layer are you working with? 

Tom

0 Kudos

Oh sorry, I forgot that I needed to import the Excel sheet that I want to source from and click on it. But Pro keeps crashing when I try to create a new table frame after deleting the old one. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Levi, 

Could you provide the steps you took before Pro crashes.  I'll see if I can reproduce here.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos

I deleted an existing table frame from the layout, and removed the associated Excel sheet from the map's TOC. I then added a new sheet to the map, and tried to make a new table frame. Pro crashed three times when I tried this. I solved it by deleting the table frame and sheet, saving the project and closing it. When I reopened it, I was able to add a new table frame.