Select to view content in your preferred language

Moving Multiple Points

01-15-2019 07:27 PM
DaveMarkey
Regular Contributor

Hi.

I have a point feature class which I want to move the location of each point to the location of the same features in a different point feature class. The two layers are of the same features just the second one is a recent GPS survey, thus the first layer is the corporate dataset where as the second is a survey dataset. Both datasets have a corresponding ID. For example, NPS123 is in both datasets but different locations. How do I do a batch move that moves each point in the corporate layer to the corresponding point in the survey layer? That is, move NPS123 in the corporate layer to the location of NPS123 in the survey layer. Obviously I only want to move the points in the corporate layer that exist in the survey layer, as not all features in the corporate layer were surveyed.

Regards,

Dave.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a couple of ways.

The simplest. A join seems to be the simplest... you have attributes that you want to move to a new location based on a 'key' field.

Right now, the correct geometry is in one file and the correct attributes are in another file.

clean out the crud from the first file that you don't want to keep, join on your 'key field' (ie the one containing NPS123),

You will now have the attributes where you want them. 

Clean out what you don't need, row-wise and column-wise and save to a new featureclass to make join permanent without altering both input data sets

0 Kudos
DaveMarkey
Regular Contributor

Hi Dan.

Instead of a join and deleting stuff is there a way of moving selected features in the corporate dataset to the location of the survey dataset?

Regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can always make a selection of the records you want to keep and create a separate file of those for the join... the originals remain unaltered

0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Frequent Contributor

We're having the same problem, did you find a solution?

0 Kudos