Why can't I save my workspace??

12-05-2018 12:05 PM
DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

Good day all,

I've been working on a project using ArcGIS Pro (2.2.3) and for whatever reason it won't allow me to save my workspace. I have been successful saving before. I get the following error now (attached)

I've tried saving it locally as I normally would save it to a network drive - that did not work. I tried both Save and Save As - also did not work. Not sure if this is responsible but my memory for ArcGISPRO is up around 2,800,000k. I've also tried saving it as TEST no spaces - that failed. Maybe because the original title had spaces it corrupts something over time? As an FYI, there are no rasters.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any workarounds or any info on this? 

It's EXTREMELY frustrating... saving a workspace is essential.

Please help!

Thank you.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dave,

I'm not seeing the error message attached, can you please provide it?

0 Kudos
DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

Hi Scott, error message attached.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I see a similar thread over here: https://community.esri.com/message/811252-re-project-save-error?commentID=811252#comment-811252 

In my research, I'm not seeing others reporting this error. Perhaps it's time to contact Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575.

A few questions that I would ask:

1. How long has this project been open?
  2. When was the last time you successfully were able to save?
  3. Since it's on a network location, do others have access to this location?
  4. Is your IT actively scanning that location with antivirus software, as Thomas mentioned in that other thread?
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would also ask if something recently changed with your antivirus software.  I say this because a recent update to antivirus software caused packaging process to fail until c-drive locations were exempted from scan.  An error I saw in geoprocessing window said something like workspace not available which at first seemed like a cryptic message.  What is your antivirus software?

DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

A few questions that I would ask:

1. How long has this project been open? About 4-5 hours
  2. When was the last time you successfully were able to save?  Maybe an hour in.
  3. Since it's on a network location, do others have access to this location? Others do have access.
  4. Is your IT actively scanning that location with antivirus software, as Thomas mentioned in that other thread  - A scheduled scan was occurring. It could be a coincidence but that could very well be the problem.

SOLUTION:

My coworker was able to figure out a work around - which I will share:

Although you cannot save the workspace you can "Save as Map File", open another instance of ArcGIS Pro, import that map file then save the workspace accordingly.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update, and the solution info. I'm just curious, what antivirus software do you use?

-Scott

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is 'K' a network drive or was it a usb drive?

I have seen students with that issue that have opened projects from usb drives rather than copying their work to a local drive first.  and this has also been complicated with folders with spaces in them, in most instances the Users folder which may contain spaces or periods in the path name

DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

Network drive.

I suspect the issue lies in a scheduled scan over the network. I've shared a workaround solution in Scott Harris 's comment/ questions.