Can we run the python script to update statistics as standalone program ?

Jump to solution
12-04-2018 12:01 PM
RaymondCao
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. My first question is:

Can we run the python script to update statistics as standalone program without ArcGIS Pro desktop?

Here is our situation.

ESRI provides a python script to update statistics in geodatabases:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/manage-sql-server/update-statistics.htm

We like to run this script on a single computer for all users and also geodatabases admin automatically every day at not-busy time. This script uses ArcPy python library, I just like to know if ArcGIS pro desktop has to be installed on this computer or we can run  this python script with ArcPy standalone.

Thank you.

Raymond

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My agency runs the full database compress, analyze, statistics every week for all of our enterprise geodatabases as a scheduled task.  The server on which the scripts execute has ArcGIS 10.5.1 installed and is licensed like any other user through our license server.

We have ArcGIS Pro installed on desktop computers only and are currently using it only as a desktop application, not for administration. The key to running stand alone arcpy scripts is having arcpy (aka some flavor of ArcGIS)  installed on the computer executing the scripts. Remember, for database administration, you'll need database administration privileges.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The key phrase is 'scheduled task'

Python in ArcGIS Pro—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop 

there is a small example in the link

RaymondCao
New Contributor

Thank you for the fast comment.

Yes, I read the script example in the link. The script uses ArcPY. Do I have to install ArcGIS Pro desktop on the computer before I can run the python script with ArcPy or I can run it without installing ArcGIS Pro desktop?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If your script uses anything rooted in ArcGIS pro … including arcpy... then yes. Otherwise it is just a general python question

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My agency runs the full database compress, analyze, statistics every week for all of our enterprise geodatabases as a scheduled task.  The server on which the scripts execute has ArcGIS 10.5.1 installed and is licensed like any other user through our license server.

We have ArcGIS Pro installed on desktop computers only and are currently using it only as a desktop application, not for administration. The key to running stand alone arcpy scripts is having arcpy (aka some flavor of ArcGIS)  installed on the computer executing the scripts. Remember, for database administration, you'll need database administration privileges.

That should just about do it....