AnsweredAssumed Answered

Retrieving traversed source edge attributes in GP service

Question asked by duncan.fetner_Zayo on Nov 5, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2019 by JohnRFix

Hey GeoNet!

I've been struggling to find the best way to retrieve attributes from edges traversed in routes generated by a Find Routes GP service nested within another GP service. Currently, I'm returning edges in my outputs and storing the SourceOIDs as keys in a dictionary with empty values, then populating the values with the necessary attributes by referencing the OBJECTID field in a feature service of the source edges. This method works fine, but it requires that I republish a new table service each time I update the network dataset (may be unnecessary, but I'm still wrapping my head around server-side concepts so that's why I'm here). I'm updating the ND frequently enough that this has become cumbersome and I'm hoping there's a better way.

Some details:

• The ND lives in a file geodatabase in a registered folder on a separate machine and is updated every 12 to 24 hours
  • I need to pull the geometry token from the traversed edges to generate the final output of the larger GP service; the output from Find Routes is not sufficient for what I need to return
  • The nature of the underlying data requires a total recreation with each ND update; since I'm not simply appending new edges to an existing ND and rebuilding, so there's no consistent OBJECTID sequence in the edges that I could potentially utilize 

Some questions/thoughts I've had:

• I'd like to entirely eliminate having to use a separate feature service to pull shapes/attributes; since the data is in a registered folder, could I get these values with a SearchCursor?
    • If so, what is the proper path structure to use as a reference to the source edges?
  • If I replaced the Find Routes service with a Copy Traversed Source Features GP service to generate the routes, would it provide more flexible alternatives to get the outputs I'm looking for?
    • Related thought: would returning the output route layer in the Find Routes service and using that as an input to a separate Copy Traversed Source Features service be better practice?

I've gotten to the point where I'm just spinning my wheels, so I hope that someone else has been faced with this issue and can provide some more insight.

Thank you!

Outcomes