AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cannot make feature layer or select by attribute in Python 2.65

Question asked by jbridwell_Dewberry on Oct 29, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 by dkwiens
I have a goal: take a feature class, make a layer for further processing and select some of the records by attribute, Should be simple, but I am having multiple problems. Note: I am working in a Python 2.65/ArcGIS 10 environment (may be cause of some of these issues). I start with my gdb
 master_dict = {'Alabama': ['01009', '01013'], ...} statePath = "<...>/gdb/master_merge_footprints.gdb"

I want to iterate through the gdb and find specific features based on state names. This part works. I can even print the fields just to test that the feature class exists:

stateNames = ['Alabama', 'Alaska'...] for name in stateNames:     arcpy.env.workspace = statePath     featureclasses = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses()    fip_merge_list = []    for fc in featureclasses:        if name in fc:            print fc             fipslist  = (master_dict[name]):            for fip in fipslist:                 ### Here's where the problem occurs

Here is where the problem occurs. As I mentioned if I've tried several things to make sure that fcexists, including fieldnames = [field.name for field in arcpy.ListFields(fc)]. I am able to print the field names and verify that the field for the where clause also exists. I create a hard output path to an existing gdb just to make sure the process will work. When I run this however, nothing shows up in my gdb when I check in ArcMap. I can manually run a selectByAttributes function in ArcMap directly on this fc as well.

select = arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(fc, statePath + "/%s_temp_lyr_%s"%(name, fip),"FIPS_CODE = '%s'"%(fip))

The process runs and doesn't throw an error, but nothing is showing in my gdb. So I tried just using the SelectLayerByAttributes_management with fc and it throws an error:

select_1 = arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management (fc, "NEW_SELECTION", "FIPS_CODE = '%s'"%(fip))

Traceback (most recent call last): File "", line 1, in select_1 = arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management (fc, "NEW_SELECTION", "FIPS_CODE = '%s'"%(fip)) File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 4259, in SelectLayerByAttribute raise e ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid. The value cannot be a feature class ERROR 000840: The value is not a Raster Layer. ERROR 000840: The value is not a Mosaic Layer. Failed to execute (SelectLayerByAttribute).

So, I can't make a layer from my feature class, I can't select by attributes, and I am stuck. I have manually verified that the feature class exists (both in Python and ArcMap), I have verified that the field exists, and I have verified that the fip exists. Any advice on what I am doing incorrectly here?

Outcomes