Field Returning to Default Length When Editing

Jump to solution
10-26-2018 06:50 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

While I'm editing a feature class, I sometimes like to extend the view length of a field to see all the data contained in that field.  With ArcGIS Pro, when I set a field view length in the attribute table and then make an edit, the field returns to it's default view size. 

This makes viewing and creating edits very cumbersome with the attribute table open.

This does not happen in ArcMap.  Can someone confirm this is an intentional design of ArcGIS Pro.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I think this is an idea you should vote on:

Stop the ArcGIS Pro table view jumping around when I calculate attributes 

The idea as of this date,10-26-18, says the idea is In Product Plan, but that could be 2.3, 2.4, 2.5,... so it's hard to say when it will be implemented unless someone from ESRI chimes in with information about it's release.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The field length in the fields view is what it actually is.

If you want to change the field 

Alter Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

If you are editing a field's width by stretching its width, it stays put even when saving edits.  The actual field width doesn't get changed... that can only be done permanently by Alter Field

0 Kudos
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Dan-

I think some screenshots will help clarify my question/concern.

Before editing/creating a polygon (notice I stretched the fields to view all text):

After creating polygon:

As you can see the fields returned to their normal length.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ahhh a different scenario.

I was just editing the table and not geometry at the same time.

If you just edit the attributes... then everything is fine.

If you are trying to edit geometry, …. not tested … 

If you are trying to edit geometry and attributes at the same time  …. who knows....

I normally create geometry first, save edits, then edit attributes later, so it could be a workflow difference.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I think this is an idea you should vote on:

Stop the ArcGIS Pro table view jumping around when I calculate attributes 

The idea as of this date,10-26-18, says the idea is In Product Plan, but that could be 2.3, 2.4, 2.5,... so it's hard to say when it will be implemented unless someone from ESRI chimes in with information about it's release.

MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Mike!  Seems like it should be coming soon.

0 Kudos