Table Join Not Honoring Field Visibility

Jump to solution
10-26-2018 06:34 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a feature class and a table in the same geodatabase, and I want to join the two together. 

I turned fields off in the table and saved it.

Then I join the two datasets and the fields I turned off previously are still visible.

This is not how ArcMap functions.  Can someone confirm that this function was an intentional design of ArcGIS Pro.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you might be running into BUG-000116292 When joining two tables together in ArcGIS Pro, the order of the fields resets to the original order and all fields become visible even when some were set to be invisible.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Add Join—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

With Add Join it states....

Field properties, such as aliases, visibility, and number formatting, are maintained when a join is added or removed.

With ...

Join Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

All fields in the Input Table will be kept during the join. Optionally, only selected fields from the Join Table will be added to the output. These can be checked under the Join Fields parameter.

Which doesn't mention visibility but 'Selected'

This probably provides the widest possible variations to meet all needs

0 Kudos
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan, I did run the 'Add Join' tool.  Maybe the description is referring to the target table of the join which maintains the visibility.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

target yes... if you want to 'hide' the other fields in the table you are trying to join to the target, the select those fields and try Join Field instead

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you might be running into BUG-000116292 When joining two tables together in ArcGIS Pro, the order of the fields resets to the original order and all fields become visible even when some were set to be invisible.

MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Terrific- thank you, Thomas. Link to the bug.

0 Kudos