Alphanumeric Values Missing in New Table

Jump to solution
10-19-2018 09:11 AM
Matthew_Deveney
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to import a table from Excel into a file geodatabase. The table comes in after the import with all alphanumeric values missing, the field is just blank. The same values are missing if I view the excel table in ArcCatalog. I tried formatting the field as a TEXT data type field in excel and then trying again with the same result. I also created a new TEXT data type field and pasted all values, deleting the other field; however, this also gave me the same result. I have formatted the table as a 97-2003 for compatibility, formatted all field names accordingly and removed any excel formatting, keeping only values in the table. I could not find any posts regarding this issue, forgive me if didn't look hard enough. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matthew_Deveney
New Contributor III

So, I figured this out and I would like to put the answer here for future reference should anyone have the same issue. I formatted the column with alphanumeric characters as the "Text" type in excel before importing. Once I did the Table to Table, I noticed in the field map that the type was coming in as the "Long" type, for some reason, the "Text" type was not coming in from Excel. So, I changed the field type to "General" in Excel and did the Table to Table again, this time importing into a Geodatabase rather than exporting. The alphanumeric column was then recognized in the Table to Table tool as the "Text" field type. I ran the tool, and everything came over perfectly. This seems like a quirk or bug in either excel or arcgis, but I got it to work. Please refer to this article as well: import - How to read Alphanumeric value when importing csv location file to ArcGIS? - Geographic Inf... 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Matthew_Deveney
New Contributor III

So, I figured this out and I would like to put the answer here for future reference should anyone have the same issue. I formatted the column with alphanumeric characters as the "Text" type in excel before importing. Once I did the Table to Table, I noticed in the field map that the type was coming in as the "Long" type, for some reason, the "Text" type was not coming in from Excel. So, I changed the field type to "General" in Excel and did the Table to Table again, this time importing into a Geodatabase rather than exporting. The alphanumeric column was then recognized in the Table to Table tool as the "Text" field type. I ran the tool, and everything came over perfectly. This seems like a quirk or bug in either excel or arcgis, but I got it to work. Please refer to this article as well: import - How to read Alphanumeric value when importing csv location file to ArcGIS? - Geographic Inf...