Better way to view nested relationships (parent-grandchild)??

10-05-2018 09:59 AM
JimmyKnowles
Occasional Contributor II

I've been able to successfully create a survey with nested repeats and everything works fine. The problem comes when I'm trying to view and proof my collected data. What I want to be able to do in WAB or Ops Dashboard is select a parent record and be able to see the related grandchildren, not just the children. I know I could probably accomplish this in WAB by creating a custom widget, but I'm trying to avoid going down that route.

My initial attempts involved trying to create a relationship class b/w parent and grandchildren to be able to take advantage of the 'Show related records' in WAB or actions w/ filters in Ops Dashboard. This didn't work when I tried the two following approaches:

1. If I try and use GlobalID-GUID relationship between parent-grandchild, I can publish the survey, but when I try to submit surveys, I get the 'Operation Rolled Back' error.
  2. If I create relationship using strings, Survey123 Connect will not publish the survey saying an incompatible relationship exists.

Here's my workaround:

I create a common key (concatenated text which uniquely identifies all features as being in the same survey) in each of my features (parent, child, grandchild) and I use this field in the group filter in WAB or using actions/filter in Ops Dashboard.

Has anyone come up with a better solution for this functionality?

0 Kudos
0 Replies