Address Locator Styles

10-01-2018 04:59 AM
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a point feature class which has the following fields Name, Category, Sub_Cat, Address. I need to build a custom address locator which should allow the user to search for records. The input parameters for the user may reside in any of the above-mentioned field. For instance, as a user I should be able to search using Name & Category or Name, Category and Address, or any such combinations within the bounds of the feature class.

I am not able to figure out the best address locator style for this workflow. I have tried a few address locator styles available within arcgis desktop by mapping the Category and Sub_Cat field in the appropriate fields but it does not return any records or values when I search using these fields.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How about a composite address locator made up of individual General - Single Field address locators for Name, Category, and Sub_Cat and a US Address - Single House or US Address - Single House Subaddress depending upon on your address data available?

Is this ArcMap or Pro?

Will it be added to AGOL as default geocode service for web apps?

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Hi Michael,

Thank you for response. I have built a composite address locator which I believe is the best way to go about it. But I am still unable to search combinations as I have already described. The issue with this is the default address locator styles available with arcmap are not going to work out for this requirement. I think there is a need to develop a custom address locator style for this which will be the base for creation of the address locators and in turn the composite address locator as the result.

As for the question you have asked, I am currently developing the address locator using arcgis desktop 10.6 and later it will be published as a geocode service to arcgis server 10.6. That is where the service will be used to locate and then the returned value to be consumed for routing and navigation.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

I would also suggest a composite locator, but comprised of locators created with the General - Gazetteer locator style and General - City State Country style where you map Name, Category, and Sub_Cat to City, State, Country. The Single Field style has a memory leak bug when published as a service, which does not exist in the Gazetteer locator style. If the data you have has address components, use the US Address - Single House locator style and include the locator in the composite.

shan_sarkar

Thank you Shana for the suggestions. I will give it a try and hopefully it resolves my problem.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Have any luck Shan?

0 Kudos