AnsweredAssumed Answered

Minimum Bounding Geometry Irregular Polygon Length & Width

Question asked by pas308_kw on Sep 17, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 by xander_bakker

Hi everyone,

First time poster. I am a student learning GIS and attempting to use it on a project I wish to pursue. It involves mapping many irregular polygon (couple of thousand). I need to be able to extract the length and width of the polygons to start with. I know I can get a length using geometry and then divide by 2 to get the average length.

I have been doing a lot of research online and have been attempting to use the bounding containers tool from data management. I am using ArcGIS 10.4 for Desktop. I am unsure though whether I am getting correct data from using the tool.

I opted to use rectangle by width, when I run it I only get intermittent data in the MGB Width field, either it has some data or is a zero. There are approximately 440 polygons in the first table. Attached are images of the polygons and a sample of the table output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am now at my wits end. I just need to accurately get the length and width of the polygons. I will have to do it for varying numbers of polygons another 17 times.

Thanks

Outcomes