How can I get object info using python in ArcGIS 10.3?

09-03-2018 02:58 AM
georgemam
New Contributor

I want to get last clicked geometric object detailed properties: Field-Value pair from particular layer where this specific object resides using python.

In this case I clicked on the triangle with name 45040001.

I am new in ArcGIS. There is a lot of videos and info available on the web, so I need a direction to dig. I want to do this in short period of time. Thanks !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sharing with Python‌ since this question really doesn't involve the ArcGIS API for Python.

What information, specifically, do you want to retrieve?  All of the fields or just a subset?  If the latter, which fields make up the subset?

Seeing you want to retrieve information using Python, what do you want to do with that information?  How you want to process or handle the information will change people's suggestions of how to get the information.

0 Kudos
georgemam
New Contributor

I want to retrieve all field-value pairs of clicked objects and send this information to another program, doesn't matters which program at this point. If this cannot be done with Python which language I can use instead ? I choose Python because I am familiar with it.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I "clicked" I assume you mean selected.  SearchCursor—Help | ArcGIS Desktop honor selections on layers.

georgemam
New Contributor

Yes I mean selected object. SearchCursor is a last step to retrieve object info. But I cannot go any farther, I'm stuck at the beginning. I think that I clearly described the problem at the very beginning.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Perhaps if you can share the script you are working with it would help people provide suggestions.