Batch processing of drive times

08-17-2018 02:27 AM
NathanLee
New Contributor II

I have several csv files that contain as many as 1,000 GPS coordinates. Each file is associated with a center point - ex. file 1 = Location_1, Location_1 coords = [40.123, -121.123]  - and all the entries within the file, represent people living around the center point. I want to determine the drivetime from each person to the center point, but am currently calculating them one by one using the ArcGIS API helperServices.route.url . As one would expect, this is a very time consuming process. However, if there is an option to batch process/calculate these drive times and return a new csv or even a ordered list of drive time values, that would be great and hopefully save me a lot of time. Does the ArcGIS API for Python have this capability or do I need to continue processing these one by one?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Just out of my curiosity, why do you need to calculate the drive time for each person?

Despite my curiosity, the following function in the network analysis module seems promising to solve your problem.

generate_origin_destination_cost_matrix

It's should not be too hard to read the csv line by line and calculate the travel time against each entry point. 

0 Kudos
NathanLee
New Contributor II

My company finds it helpful to understand what the driving times are for the 'average customer'. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look and see if I can get it to work.

0 Kudos
NathanLee
New Contributor II

The cost matrix is not really what I'm looking for. I have one centerpoint and need to determine each respective drivetime of thousands of other points, to that centerpoint.

0 Kudos