Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Stalls while tracing

08-08-2018 01:52 PM
TimFast
Emerging Contributor

When I use tracing to split a polygon against another the tracing action starts out fine and then it will suddenly stall. To get it working a gain I click the line that I am tracing to end that tracing and after a minute I can usually start tracing again. After continuing to trace it stalls again. There are also instances where it will stall and lock up Pro. Doing the same task works fine (and faster) in Arcmap.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried the Trace tool on another machine with Pro?

Have you tried the Trace tool on a different feature class?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

How many vertices does either polygon have? I have run into this in Arc with polygons that have thousands of vertices. Also, how recent is your video card driver?

TimFast
Emerging Contributor

The polygons have thousands of vertices. As for the graphics card my laptop (Dell) has only the Intel HD Graphics 550 on the motherboard. The rest of the specs are:

16GB RAM

I7-5600 CPU @ 2.6 GHz

512 GB SSD Drive

Again, I don’t have this trouble at all using Arcmap

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Two things, one really, the integrated Intel video card I believe uses "shared" memory with the rest of the motherboard, and is not a dedicated GPU with its own memory, which according to ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop , might not minimum requirements to "start and run Pro". This would definitely cause issues when tracing a polygon with thousands of vertices. Just to confirm, can you make a copy of your polygon(s), densify or simplify or otherwise remove (very) many vertices, and try the same thing. If the behavior disappears, your problem is some combination of video card and polygon vertice density, for which a call to TS is really the only solution. 

PLS_KateGladstein
Occasional Contributor

Yup, this just happened to me editing verticies for an enormous polygon. stalled out, never regained consciousness.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I tried to repro this in 2.2.1 with two polygons of over 10000 vertices each, and surprisingly, it was much faster than in Arc (!!!!!!!!!!!). I am able to get a little wonkiness if I move the mouse too far ahead of the trace indicator, but nothing like you describe. I would suggest tech support, and keep us posted on the outcome. FWIW I'm doing this with an AMD GPU with 4 GB. 

0 Kudos