AnsweredAssumed Answered

Summarizing Point Attributes Within A Polygon

Question asked by HMArnold on Jun 2, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 3, 2018 by MervynLotter

I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.6, have a layer with 35k points representing the location of each individual bird in a drone based wildlife study, and several polygons representing areas within the overall map.

What I'm looking for is a list of all the birds that fall within a particular polygon, with a total for each species.

With the entire database of all birds, I can summarize and get the totals, so I'm thinkin that's the direction I need to go, but I can't get a subset database of points within a polygon.

If I do a join from the polygon to the species database, I get a single line representing the total for all birds within the polygon that sounds about right, but only a single line. This also gives me the idea that both the polygon and the database are properly defined and positioned.

When I do a join from the species database to the polygon, I get every bird in the original database, 35k.

I've looked through the other "Polygon/Point" discussions and searched the web, and my fear is that my question is so simple that I can't find it somewhere else

Any suggestions appreciated

Attachments

Outcomes