Is it possible to intercept the search widget input?

Jump to solution
04-28-2018 04:16 PM
DavidAsbury
Esri Contributor

Trying to figure out how to gather user input without requiring them to input their location twice. I want to end up with both coordinates and a text description of the place.

I have two thoughts:

1) User types location in search widget on geopoint question and input is captured in a text field

2) User types location into a text field and pulldata is used to calculate input for the geopoint question.

Right now I can use a geopoint and pulldata to calculate text fields (a. la. the 'Calculate location from geopoint' sample survey) with coordinates, but of course need a reverse geocode to get place names.

I saw James Tedrick‌'s issue Feedback: Coordinate Entry and GeoSearch · Issue #105 · tedrick/Survey123-Testing · GitHub but was not able to get the example form to work. Probably because I need to do something to set up reverse geocoding so pulldata has something to read - i.e. pulldata("@geopoint", ${location}, "address.text"))

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. To explore the use of pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"address.text") you should use the Early Adopter cut of Survey123. Also including a short video describing how this works. This functionality is currently in Beta and planned to be made available in version 3.0 around July 2018.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. To explore the use of pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"address.text") you should use the Early Adopter cut of Survey123. Also including a short video describing how this works. This functionality is currently in Beta and planned to be made available in version 3.0 around July 2018.

Nielsvan_Rijn2
New Contributor III

Hi Ismael Chivite,

Does this feature work already to reverse geocode and get the address? When I use  something like pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"address.text") I get no response.

Thanks, Niels

0 Kudos
RayDanser
New Contributor III

When will the pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"address.text") function work? I tried it with the new release and it was not working.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ray,

During the beta process the exact syntax for accessing reverse geocoding was revised slightly.  Please see https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/07/06/understanding-reverse-geocoding-in-surve... for updated information.

RayDanser
New Contributor III

Got it. Thank you!

0 Kudos