survey123 error code 1000 - conversion failed when converting from a character string to unique identifier

Jump to solution
04-19-2018 08:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am looking for more information on this error code. This form is writing to a related table in a feature service hosted in AGOL. I built the survey in Connect Version 2.6.4 and it is being used on iPads and the desktop application. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Andrew,

I suspected this might be the case.  If you change the hidden question to a text question, do the GlobalIDs display with curly braces already?  This can occur depending on the application launching Survey123 and Survey123 will try to automatically add the curly braces.  We are working to prevent this from being an issue in the future, but in the meantime, this can be worked around:

1. Have the value load into a hidden question with fieldType of null .  Let's call this question incoming.

2. Have the REL_GlobalID question be a calculate question that checks for curly braces and removes if present:

if(regex(${incoming}, '^\{[\w\-]*\}$'), substr(${incoming},1, string-length(${incoming}) - 1), ${incoming})

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Andrew,

I see that your form has a hidden question called REL_GlobalID - how is this getting populated?  Given the error code (converting an answer into a unique identifier), it most likely relates to this question (which is outputting to a GUID field).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am using the survey123 costume URL schema to pass the field REL_GlobalID. Users are accessing the survey from hyperlink in the point features pop-up from our WebApp. 

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=9ca813b0c3664fafb2014aae3f17a08b&field:SWMID={SWMID}&field:GenBMPType={GenBMPType}&field:SpecBMPType={BasinType}{InfilType}{FiltrType}{MTDType}{MTDFilType}{MTDHydType}{MiscType}&field:BMPFunc={BMPFunc}&field:Rel_GlobalID={GlobalID}  

The error is only intermittent, we have submitted many surveys successfully. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Thanks Andrew,

I suspected this might be the case.  If you change the hidden question to a text question, do the GlobalIDs display with curly braces already?  This can occur depending on the application launching Survey123 and Survey123 will try to automatically add the curly braces.  We are working to prevent this from being an issue in the future, but in the meantime, this can be worked around:

1. Have the value load into a hidden question with fieldType of null .  Let's call this question incoming.

2. Have the REL_GlobalID question be a calculate question that checks for curly braces and removes if present:

if(regex(${incoming}, '^\{[\w\-]*\}$'), substr(${incoming},1, string-length(${incoming}) - 1), ${incoming})