MS Access 32 bit via ArcPro

Jump to solution
04-12-2018 12:15 PM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to connect (through a custom tool developed via the current ArcPro SDK) to an MS Access 2003 database (32-bit) through ArcPro, but with no success.  I think it's because Pro is 64-bit, as I am able to connect to the same database through ArcMap 10.4 using a custom tool.

Can anyone confirm what I think is happening?  Is there a workaround??

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianBulla

So for anyone interested, here is a workaround for connecting to a 32-bit MS Access database file through ArcPro.  Of course, this is for someone having the same system issue as I am having, which is installing both 32 and 64 bit MS Office drivers at the same time.

How to install 64-bit Microsoft Database Drivers alongside 32-bit Microsoft Office | AutoCAD | Autod... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BalajiVeera
Occasional Contributor

64-bit SQL Server Native Client (or) 64-bit SQL Server ODBC Driver (if Windows 7)

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
BrianBulla

I read the article.  So what does this mean for .mdb files.  Will I not be able to connect to any of our .mdb databases through ArcPro??

What I am trying to do is create an OleDBConnection through some .NET code to connect to the database.  From everything I have read, it's more of a Microsoft/OS issue than an esri ArcPro issue.  Through VisualStudio (32 bit) I can connect to it, but through ArcPro (64 bit) I cannot.  My system (Windows 7 64 bit) does not seem to want to let me install the 64-bit Office drivers.  I think I have 32 bit office installed right now??

PGDB support is another issue, but just being able to access a regular Access database I don't think would be an esri issue.  I don't think any 64-bit application on my machine would be able to access this database, not just ArcPro.

Of course, I could be totally wrong as I don't have a great understanding of the issues.

Anyways, I'm still trying to figure this out.  Installing/uninstalling drivers from here:  Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Cent... , but no luck as of yet.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

That is correct. You can no longer use MS Access compatible databases with Pro.

There are a lot of reasons why I am not using Pro and this one is huge.

TedKowal

Also vote here for MS Access support in Pro ..  Enable ArcGIS Pro to access ESRI Personal Geodatabases

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

So for anyone interested, here is a workaround for connecting to a 32-bit MS Access database file through ArcPro.  Of course, this is for someone having the same system issue as I am having, which is installing both 32 and 64 bit MS Office drivers at the same time.

How to install 64-bit Microsoft Database Drivers alongside 32-bit Microsoft Office | AutoCAD | Autod... 

0 Kudos