Layer file and attribute table do not have matching fields

04-06-2018 10:17 AM
CassandraKeyes
New Contributor

I downloaded some vegetation data and I have a layer file, a .tif and a separate attribute table. The attribute table has the information that I want to display (ie vegetation type), but I cannot join the attribute table to the layer file because there are no matching fields and I cannot add a field to the attribute table. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can't join a table to a *.tif, nor the other way around

0 Kudos
CassandraKeyes
New Contributor

This is what I downloaded from Gap Landcover:

The .tif file doesn't appear to have any information that I need. The layer file displays the colors of the landcover types but nothing is available in the attribute table, Id, Count, and Value. The attribute table has all of the information I would like to attach to a file to display, but it doesn't appear that I can. Is there a way to do this? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is no attachment.

The id, count and value field are those from the raster.

In order to attach the attribute table, then you need a common key or you would have to do it manually

Was there a link to to the data you have

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Does the table has X , Y coordinates fields?

0 Kudos
CassandraKeyes
New Contributor

The data is from the USGS Gapland (Download Land Cover Data ) for the state of New Mexico. I feel like there should be an easier way to get the files to join but there are no matching fields for any of the data and I can't add a field to the attribute table.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It would probably help if you showed the tables to see what you are trying to do.

If one is a raster table and the other is some other type of table, and they have no matching key field, you will have to produce one

0 Kudos
CassandraKeyes
New Contributor

0 Kudos