Can JavaScript API 4 Identify Raster Layer Attribute?

03-26-2018 01:43 PM
DeanChiang
Occasional Contributor

We have raster layers under dynamic map services published on ArcGIS Server 10.5. 

Using JSAPI 3, you can identify cell attributes from the raster layers (return Pixel Value, COUNT, etc.).

Using JSAPI 4 (tested by modifying this sample - IdentifyTask | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.6 to point to our own ArcGIS Server map service with raster layers), the identify task returns IDRESULTS: [{}]

Does Esri intend to support identify function on raster layer with JS API  in the future, and what is the alternative or current workaround?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dean,

Have you looked at the image service identify task?

ImageServiceIdentifyTask | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.6 

Or are you just talking about a standard raster layer added to the webmap?

0 Kudos
DeanChiang
Occasional Contributor

Robert, 

I noticed the new Image Service Identify Task in JSAPI 4, but my target layers are not in image services. 

We have hundreds of raster layers published from raster datasets spread across dozens of dynamic map services on-premise. It looks like Esri is gesturing toward Image Sever as the future online raster solution. The trouble is Esri has recently changed its Image Server licensing (took it out of the bundle of ArcGIS Server). We really do not want to take it out if their existing platform. I wish they would just come out and make it clear to the customers regarding imminent and breaking changes in the latest API. 

Apparently the solution to upgrading our web apps from JSAPI 3 to 4 is a complete re-architecture of the entire data hosting platform.

0 Kudos