Align Edge tool not working

03-26-2018 09:36 AM
MatthewMassey
New Contributor III

I'm having sporadic trouble with the Align Edge tool in Arc Pro 2.1.2. Actually, I've had the same problems with it in all versions of Pro. I have two Enterprise SDE features - one line and one polygon - that I am editing. I am using the Align Edge tool - following the exact instruction here -  Align topology edges—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop . I click it, but *usually* nothing happens other than a generic message that says "Align Edge Failed". Rarely, I do the exact same thing a second time and it works. When trying to do the exact same thing to the exact same edges in ArcMap 10.3-10.5, everything works fine as expected. Anyone else having issues with this? Or any suggestions? I'm happy to include any information or screenshots if that helps...which I'm sure it would, I'm just not sure exactly what anyone would want to see. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What type of topology are you using when working with the Align Edge tool - map or database?

I am working with Map topology in Pro and I do not see the ability to choose which layers should participate in the Map topology like you can do with ArcMap.  If there is a way to choose layers to participate in Map topology in Pro it must be different, so would anyone know how to select the layers to participate in Map topology in Pro?

0 Kudos
JohnJones
Esri Contributor

In the contents pane on the 'editing' view you can control per layer edibility of layers in your map, the map topology only contains editable layers so unchecking layers will restrict the participation in your map topology.  

You can also setup configurations using Tasks to bulk turn on and off layer properties at once if you have several different configurations (this also works for visibility, selectability and snapability).

0 Kudos
JohnJones
Esri Contributor

Off the top of my head I can't recall any specific differences between Pro and ArcMap in how Align edge works that would explain this.   If you are using GDB topology you could try switching over to map topology instead and see if that setting fails similarly.  In map topology the topology graph is always in the map's SR, with GDB topology it would be in the data's native SR (and projected on the fly for feedback / visualization).  If you can reproduce, of course I would be interested to test locally (including on 2.3).

0 Kudos