Can not connect to server Get Proxy Error 504.

03-02-2018 07:46 AM
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

Attempting to connect to new Arcgis Server using Add ArcGIS Server. I enter URL and user name and password and I get the Error: We were not able to connect to "Server" Error: Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify server is running). (Status code 504). 

I am running Acrmap 10.5.1 and server is the same. I have tested and it works on other desktops the only difference between this one and the others is it is still using Windows 7 and the others are using 10. We have taking it off the domain and put it back on, ran updates, etc.. still nothing seems to be working. has anyone seen this? I have read many similar issues that were due to miss matched versions like 10.0 on desktop and 10.4 on server but these match. I have run out of ideas and could use some more if anyone has any. 

Thanks,

Ken

25 Replies
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Hi Ken, 

I understand that establishing a new connection from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server is returning a 504 bad gateway error. One method to try is open a web browser from the same machine as ArcMap and navigate to ArcGIS Server manager with the same URL. You don't have to be an admin to bring up the URL, we just want to see if the machine can access this. If you are not able to access this, then there may be a proxy configured in the web browser that is blocking access. This workflow should confirm that. 

KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

Yes if I put the server URL in Chrome it goes to the rest location . I had thought there was an issue with Windows 7 but a test on another 7 machine worked. Not sure what settings are on this one machine to keep it from working. It is odd. 

0 Kudos
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Looking up this error internally revealed a technical support document that outlines possible issues relating to this issue. Error: Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify the server is running)   Please let us know if none of the solutions in the article resolve your matter.

0 Kudos
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

Solution or Workaround

There are several solutions to troubleshoot the error.

• Use valid credentials to access the server. DONE
  • Users must have permission to connect to the ArcGIS Server site to perform administrative and publishing functions. Refer to ArcGIS Help: Restrict access to ArcGIS Server Do users only need this permission?
  • Try a different type of server connection, for example, either Administrative connections, Publisher connections or User connections to see if the behavior changes. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Help: Connection types. DONE
  • Test the ArcGIS Server URL in a web browser to see if the REST or Admin page can be accessed. DONE and Works
  • Test the connection the ArcGIS Server by connecting via the IP address. DONE
  • If using the ArcGIS Web Adaptor for the server connection, and administrative connections are not enabled through the ArcGIS Web Adaptor, connect via port  6080 or 6443. DONE
  • In some scenarios, users may be using a Windows domain account. In this case try using a different user account, such as the primary site administrator (PSA) account. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Help: Accounts used by ArcGIS ServerAdmin accounts work non admin accounts for user does not
  • In cases where the server is federated with Portal for ArcGIS, update the current server connection to use the a same credentials as Portal for ArcGIS. DONE

StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Hi Ken, 

If after attempting the workflows listed in the article have not resolved the issue. Then the next steps would be to open a support case for an analyst to diagnose further what the issue may be. 

0 Kudos
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

thanks I will open one. It is the strangest thing and only affected on one users machine. Even with Admin logged in on that machine the error persists and if the user logs in on another machine that works it works. There is some setting somewhere that is causing it but I can not find or think of anything that would be the cause. 

I will be putting in a support ticket. thanks for your help so far. 

I will update when it has been resolved and the steps taken. 

0 Kudos
PaulDelaney2
New Contributor

Hi Ken

Just wondering if you had any progress with this issue? We are experiencing exactly the same situation - a specific user on a specific machine not being able to connect.

many thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
KennethBusby
Occasional Contributor

still working it

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I'd delete and re-create the connection file to ArcGIS Server. That usually works for me when I see similar.

0 Kudos