Can I access the shape file of a web map?

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 09:51 AM
ArielPaz_Sawicki
New Contributor II

Hi,

I recently finished a basic GIS course so forgive the ignorance. 

I found a good map with data I could use on the ArcGIS website, but it's only available as far as I know in web map form. Is it possible to get the data set or shape file that the web map is based on, to upload to ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Ariel

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Better yet, there is no need to download the pkinfo file. Just search for the map in ArcGIS Pro, using the All Portal option:

Search for the title of the map (for instance "Assessed Sub-district & Communities") and right click on the item in the search results that you want to add:

It will be loaded as map in ArcGIS Pro:

And the data will be copied to the project fgdb.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ariel,

If you open the web map in AGOL Map Viewer then you can see the layers and their description which will take you to the layers REST endpoint if it is coming from a ArcGIS Service layer.

XanderBakker

Maybe you can, but but it depends on several aspects. Is it publicly available? If so, can you share the URL to validate. 

Another aspect apart from the technical possibility is the question if the owner of the map and underlying data allows you to use and copy the data.

0 Kudos
ArielPaz_Sawicki
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is no download link anywhere on the site, so I doubt it, possibly for privacy reasons.

XanderBakker

It is a StoryMap with multiple maps in it. You can navigate to the URL of the organization and browse the maps they have shared publicly: https://acusy.maps.arcgis.com/home/gallery.html#c=organization&o=modified&f=maps 

You can hover over the item and go to the details page:

In the details page you can add the content to Desktop:

Although there is no specific information about restrictions, this still does not mean that you are free to copy the data.

ArielPaz_Sawicki
New Contributor II

Thanks! I clicked open on ArcGIS desktop, and it downloaded a .pkinfo file. I have ArcGIS Pro (through my school). How do I open this file? 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Better yet, there is no need to download the pkinfo file. Just search for the map in ArcGIS Pro, using the All Portal option:

Search for the title of the map (for instance "Assessed Sub-district & Communities") and right click on the item in the search results that you want to add:

It will be loaded as map in ArcGIS Pro:

And the data will be copied to the project fgdb.

ArielPaz_Sawicki
New Contributor II

Amazing! Thank you so much!

0 Kudos