Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I access the shape file of a web map?

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 09:51 AM
ArielPaz_Sawicki
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

I recently finished a basic GIS course so forgive the ignorance. 

I found a good map with data I could use on the ArcGIS website, but it's only available as far as I know in web map form. Is it possible to get the data set or shape file that the web map is based on, to upload to ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Ariel

12 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome, I'm glad it worked. Can you mark the post that most answered you question as the correct answer?

0 Kudos
JustinJohnson2
Occasional Contributor

You can go to the organization's ArcGIS Online Gallery page and look for the layer, or the map, that you want:

https://acusy.maps.arcgis.com/home/gallery.html 

If you find the layer you're looking for, and the owners made it public, you can add it to your web map.  If you can't find the exact layer, but can find a map with a layer you want, you can sometimes open the map's information page, with the overview, description, and list of layers.  If the layers are public, you can click them and go to their individual REST endpoints.  I'm not seeing that this is the case on most of this user's maps, but I'm not exactly sure which one you're looking at.  They have 4 pages of maps. 

0 Kudos
GrantHerbert
Frequent Contributor

That is very good info to know about Pro capabilities.

Just throwing out another option for downloading REST Service data: the Data Pillager (GitHub - gdherbert/DataPillager: Download data from Esri REST service ) toolbox tool that I wrote for precisely that purpose some years ago, and still update every now and then with new functionality and to address issues.

0 Kudos