render size and color of point using GenerateRenderer / dynamic layers

Jump to solution
02-01-2018 08:46 AM
deleted-user-3QvhwBivZdaR
New Contributor III

I need to edit my web app so that I can change the attribute value defining the point symbols in a set of dynamic map service layers.  The points are symbolized by size and color.
I am not sure if this is possible? The closest example I have found is  here  - but in this example they are using class breaks only.  It appears I can also use a UniqueValueDefinition instead of the ClassBreaksDefinition used in the example as a parameter of the GenerateRendererTask, but in the API I only see a color ramp available (no change in size).  I would prefer to have defined colors and defined sizes, using the same values, with the ability to switch the defining attribute from the web interface, as in the example I included.   This is an existing application, so I need to maintain the use of dynamic map service layers (I can't use feature layers).

I see that a Unique Value renderer may be used for this, but that appears to only work for feature layers.

Any ideas, examples? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor III

I found that I could in fact use the UniqueValueRenderer class with a dynamic layer.  I create a renderer with that class, then use its 'addValue' method to define individual markers, each with their own sizes and colors, for a specific attribute's value, then pas these renderer properties to a LayerDrawingOptions object.  I then use setLayerDrawingOptions on the specified layer to set these drawing options.

So far it seems to work but I have only tested very small datasets.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
New Contributor III

I found that I could in fact use the UniqueValueRenderer class with a dynamic layer.  I create a renderer with that class, then use its 'addValue' method to define individual markers, each with their own sizes and colors, for a specific attribute's value, then pas these renderer properties to a LayerDrawingOptions object.  I then use setLayerDrawingOptions on the specified layer to set these drawing options.

So far it seems to work but I have only tested very small datasets.

0 Kudos