Survey not submitting and/or loading

01-18-2018 04:00 PM
NicoleHelgeson
New Contributor II

I have a web map that collects data via a survey that I created on the desktop using Survey123 Connect version 2.5.44 and then converted to a webform. I have received comments from some users that after clicking on the link, the survey does not fully open. Or that after they have completed the survey, it does not submit successfully. In both cases they are not being given an error. The survey simply does not load or it just says "submitting survey" forever. In most cases, the browsers are Firefox and Explorer. I have tried creating different survey versions, told them to clear their cache, or to try a different browser but still no luck. The survey is public.

I am stumped as to other advice I can give them, or if there are issues in the xls form I am unaware of that could be causing problems.

I have attached the form used to create the survey. Link to web survey: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/f0c72995de4f4628b1e622c48db3f980 

Thank you,

Nicole

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Nicole,

I am using Chrome on a laptop computer and was able to take the survey and it appeared to have submitted. Are your users filling in the required blanks?

NicoleHelgeson
New Contributor II

Hi Adrian,

I see your point too.

They should be...I set up the form so that it would give an error if they tried to submit it without filling the required questions. I will double-check this with them, however.

0 Kudos
leo_SwissGIS
New Contributor III

Hi Nicole, 

I had similar issues as you are describing.

After a long period of tests and research, it seems that I found one explanation to this behavior although I cannot explain why. It might be a bug from survey123.

When your Survey contains a geopoint question, if you open it in a browser (Firefox or chrome does'nt matter) the Browser will open a popup and ask something like "Do you allow survey123.arcgis.com to acces to your location?". The question varies according to the browser, and the behavior also varies.

If you ignore the question or just close the popup, the Survey is very likely to not be able to submit at the end.

If you choose to answer "I don't allow", sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes it works.

If you choose to answer "I allow", it usually works.

In some browsers, the question is asked a second time when you submit the Survey. There again you have to pay attention to your answer. 

I don't know if this helps you, let me know!

Léo

NicoleHelgeson
New Contributor II

Hi Leo,

That is a great idea!  It makes sense that the pop-up could be causing issues with the survey. I'll check with the users and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Leo,

Just to note, the behavior of the web form will change in 2.6 to prevent this issue from occurring. 

0 Kudos