Code error 1003 - Operation rolled back (in app) and Msg error data truncated (browser)

12-26-2017 03:45 PM
QualidadeFlorestal
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I´ve got two problems when trying to send completed surveys of the attached form:

1 - Code 1003 when trying to send completed surveys using the app. I´ve changed some fields after looking at similar posts, but the problem persists.

2 - A minor issue as we have no plans to awswer this survey through the browser, but when trying to send completed surveys from there, there´s this message: "Submit fail - String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated". Oddly, when checking the data section to download the survey data, the registers are there, but I couldn´t download them, first attempt the msg in the attach "Survey_error" appeared, when I tried a second time, the msg error in the attach "Survey_error_2", appeared.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Qualidade

1 and 2 are linked. Essentially you have applied an bind::esri:fieldLength of 3 to a couple of questions, and you hit the error because the survey is trying to submit an answer that exceed this limit. Removing the limit enabled me to submit without error - can you try this your end?

Thanks

John

QualidadeFlorestal
New Contributor II

Johnathan,

thanks for your response. I deleted the form and data and published a new one with these changes you suggested and it fixed problem 1, but the problem 2 persisted, but I think that this was due to the slow connection I was using, because after I connected in a better one, I was able to download the database normally.

Cheers!

TammyWinfield
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I am having a similar problem. I have an individual in the field who is trying to submit and is getting this error: "Failed to submit. Operation rolled back. Operation rolled back. Operation rolled back. String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated"; however, I and others have submitted through the web browser survey with no problem.  Is this is connection speed issue? 

0 Kudos
TammyWinfield
New Contributor II

Additional info: the users was submitting on IPhone using safari browser, downloaded Chrome, and the survey submitted without error.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tammy,

The usual cause for this is that the text being submitted for an answer is larger than the can be stored in the table's field (the default maximum is 255 characters for a text question; older versions of Survey123 Connect would make the field smaller for single choice questions).  Did the user use the exact same values between the app and browser test?

0 Kudos
TammyWinfield
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Yes, the text was exactly the same, so there is some other issue at play here. 

Why have a text limit for a field, but not enforce it on the web browser version of the survey (as it is in the application based survey)?

Thanks so much,

Tammy

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tammy,

When was the survey published?  Support for displaying and enforcing a character count was introduced in the last release of Survey123.  You can either republish the survey as-is or enable using the latest version through the survey's settings on the Survey123 website.

0 Kudos
AndySchmidt
New Contributor II

I am having this issue as well and what I think is going on is that the value being passed from collector to survey123 is in the valid value list and is taking the long description vs the two digit code. Is there a workaround for this?

0 Kudos