Select to view content in your preferred language

Comparing layers gathered from data from ArcGIS Online

12-26-2017 09:15 PM
maxwellAransen
New Contributor

Hello,
I am new to the ArcGIS software's and am tasked to create a reference guide for the DOT through ArcMap. I am trying to compare multiple layers that I get by adding data from ArcGIS online. These layers include: USA Soils Drainage Class, USA Soil Map Units 2014, and Total Annual Precipitation. I need to display, based on comparing the layers above, multiple options of repair methods for slope failures along highways and major roadways. The end picture of the project is to have a web based platform for the DOT to click on/ enter a specific location and then it displays the results.

I have looked into using unions but I don't think I can go that route because those layers above are not feature layers.

Also, only the USA Soils Drainage Class layer can be made selectable (not sure if that makes a difference)

I am hoping for a push in the right direction!
Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wouldn't a simple 'info' click provide you with enough information?  

I am going to strongly suggest that a union of those maps... even if they were all vector, would likely fail miserably given the area covered and the apparent resolution.

Can you confirm what type all of the layers are?  Raster? Vector?  which ones are what?  As for the unselectable layer...(saw that somewhere in the help) no point having it if you can't get the information out somehow.

0 Kudos
maxwellAransen
New Contributor

I have gone ahead and replaced all the non-selectable layers with similar selectable layers and the three layers that I am now using are all raster data sets. When I use the Identify tool, it gives me all the data I need and additional data that I don't need. My question now is how can I take the information that I have and automatically compare it all (ie. Clay soil with high drainage and 20 inches of rainfall a year) and say that X,Y, and Z are all possible methods of repair?
Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos