Issue with YouTube URLs for Cascade in Portal

Jump to solution
12-14-2017 06:26 PM
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Our organization has Portal for ArcGIS. We are testing setting up a Cascade story map in Portal but it doesn't appear that YouTube video URLs are recognized (when trying to add a YouTube video as the Cover or to a media item elsewhere in the body of the story map). When trying to add a YouTube video URL we get a "The file you are trying to add is missing or inaccessible" message. Has anyone had that issue in Portal for the Cascade builder? (in our version of Portal the Cascade version shows as 1.3.4-031717)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Caitlin and others,

Good news -- I was incorrect about this!

The ability to configure your Cascade app to run YouTube videos was added at ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 (possibly 10.6.1, I'm trying to confirm this). An administrator can go to the config.js file, line 45, and swap in your organization's own YouTube API key and change the flag to YOUTUBE_DISABLE_ON_PORTAL to false.

https://github.com/Esri/storymap-cascade/blob/V1.10.0/src/app/config.js#L45

Also, to apply this update to an earlier version of Enterprise you may be able to download the latest version of the app code from Github and update the Cascade app code on your portal.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Lindsay -- Sorry you are having an issue with Cascade on your Enterprise portal. Can you share the link of the YouTube video you are trying to embed so we can test it? Can you confirm that you can open the video in a regular browser and that YouTube isn't blocked by your organization's IT department?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help Owen! This is the placeholder video we were trying to use: The Bridgeport Waterfront Master Plan - YouTube 

I opened up the Cascade story map builder on my local/personal computer and saw the same issue (when in Portal); when I added the video to the cover of a story map Cascade in AGOL the video was recognized.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lindsay -- Unfortunately, Cascade does not currently support YouTube videos when the app is self-hosted or hosted on an Enterprise portal. We are looking at supporting this in 10.6.1 (or possibly a 10.6 patch). When this is implemented an administrator will need to add your own YouTube API key to a configuration file in the Cascade app on your portal.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
deleted-user-pSEFA8qSxLCv
New Contributor III

Owen - by chance has this been implemented, and if so, is there documentation on how to do this?

0 Kudos
AnussaraHirunpongchai
New Contributor

Hello Owen,

I am using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 and right now, I am creating a storymap one. My storymap (Cascade) cannot add my youtube video to the cascade storymap. So, do you have workaround to solve this issue? please suggest!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Anussara -- A workaround is to add a link to your story that opens the YouTube video in another browser tab. The link can be a simple hyperlink in the text of the story, or you can include a screenshot of the video and add a hyperlink to the screenshot's caption.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CaitlanDowling
New Contributor II

Hi Owen Evans Is a patch available for this yet? We are in Portal 10.5 and will not be upgrading to 10.7 for awhile. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Caitlan -- This feature has not been added to any version of Enterprise at this time, and there are no plans to release patches for earlier versions to add it there either. I'm sorry this capability is not available in Cascade at this time. I would suggest looking at the workarounds posted above in this thread.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Caitlin and others,

Good news -- I was incorrect about this!

The ability to configure your Cascade app to run YouTube videos was added at ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 (possibly 10.6.1, I'm trying to confirm this). An administrator can go to the config.js file, line 45, and swap in your organization's own YouTube API key and change the flag to YOUTUBE_DISABLE_ON_PORTAL to false.

https://github.com/Esri/storymap-cascade/blob/V1.10.0/src/app/config.js#L45

Also, to apply this update to an earlier version of Enterprise you may be able to download the latest version of the app code from Github and update the Cascade app code on your portal.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos