Spaces in choices name

Jump to solution
11-29-2017 08:42 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

When having choice names with spaces in them my form converts with warnings, I get that it is probably best to not have the spaces in the choices especially for select one questions, but in the case of a select multiple (where the answer is saved as a text field) or where the bind::esri:fieldType is set to null, would it be OK for my choices names to have spaces or would this cause issues in my form?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brent

It it is not actually possible to publish a survey through Connect with a select_multiple question that references a choice list with spaces in the name values. So having no spaces is a requirement.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brent

It it is not actually possible to publish a survey through Connect with a select_multiple question that references a choice list with spaces in the name values. So having no spaces is a requirement.

Thanks

John

BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks John,  Just to clarify would it be OK for a select one? It seems to be working fine where I have a select one that is set to field type null where the selected value is used in a calculation with in another field.

Cheers,

Brent

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brent - spaces in a choice name will work for a select one. However it is not best practice for the XLSform spec that Survey123 uses, and that is why you get a warning (as opposed to an error).

0 Kudos
LeonardOlyott
New Contributor II

Thanks for confirming this John. Just ran into this now where a select_one was working fine with spaces, changed it to a select_multiple and it fails.

Cheers

Len

JustinDonaghy
New Contributor

Can you explain why this is , kind of strange I cannot pick multiple answers and they can't have spaces. currently doing a safety and can't write full answers