repeat_count creating unneeded records

11-02-2017 02:30 PM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

I am using version 2.4.60 of S123 Connect and version 2.4.74 of S123.  A couple weeks ago I updated my existing survey by adding a value (3) to the repeat_count property of one our repeats, "Treatments".  When i published the survey, it required a delete of the hosted feature layer and creation of a new one. the one change on the hosted feature layer was addition of the field "Treatments_count".

Now, whenever a survey is submitted, 3 new records are created in the Treatments table, regardless of how many the user created in the survey.  For example, if the user completed 1 'treatment' in the survey, 3 records end up in the hosted feature layer - one record has a full set of values and two records have null values in all the fields without default values (except for objectid and globalid).  This is not the desired behavior (I simply wanted to limit the number of repeats that could be created) and is not what is described in the current documentation (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformrepeats.htm)

is the intended behavior to create a 'repeat_count' number of records for the repeat for each survey submission?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

we recently had an experience with this feature and came to realize that this column is used to define how repeats the database should expect and thus will create "Null" records when that number is not reached. 

So, you will have to remove the number "3" from that column in order to stop the extra unpopulated records rrom being submitted.

I'm unsure if this is a bug or an expected result; as we thought it was just used to prevent more than the declared number of repeats.

Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

I heard from JTedrick-esristaff‌ that the behavior is intentional starting at 2.4.  I offered some user feedback that creating null records is not a preferred way to go, especially since most of our surveys would have 1 repeat.  With the current implementation that would fill over half our database will empty records.

And you are right, i will have to remove the value from the repeat_count field to prevent creation of the empty repeats.

0 Kudos