Editor is not showing

Jump to solution
10-14-2017 12:02 PM
DylanCarlson
New Contributor

For whatever reason Editor is not showing for me. I have selected and activated it within the Customize folder and it still is not showing, even when Editor is selected it does not show. Is there a way to reset this function? 

Thank you in advance 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have you followed the process to start editing?

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/editing/what-is-editing-.htm

Do you mean the editor toolbar in ArcMap (Customize, toolbars)?

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/editing/a-quick-tour-of-editing.htm

If you are looking for other editors such as parcel editor or 3d editor, specify that, or search the help files for the appropriate one.

0 Kudos
DylanCarlson
New Contributor

Yes, I apologize, I was referring to the editor toolbar within ArcMap. I have added the editor toolbar to the standard toolbar and still do not have access to it for whatever reason. I have followed those steps without any success. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you trying to create a featureclass and edit it? 

If so you have to create the empty featureclass first, then you can edit it. 

That process is covered in the 2nd link I posted.

If you are trying to edit an existing featureclass, then you have to ensure that you have permissions to edit it.  It should be stored locally on your machine and under your control.  If it is located elsewhere and is 'owned' by someone else, then you might be edit a locally stored copy, but rarely will you be allowed to edit a copy.  

Also, to start editing something, it has to be selected in the table of contents ... the procedure for getting ready to create features and editing existing features is pretty well laid out in the help files, so you are going to have to be specific about what steps you followed and at which point do you not get past.

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III
DylanCarlson
New Contributor

This process worked, I had to reset my template to use the editor.

0 Kudos