XML Editor

10-06-2017 09:04 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

At my last job I downloaded an xml editor that worked really well to make changes to Feature Class attribute schemas. By exporting the "schema only" in arc catalog I got the xml file and open it in the editor.

The editor would display the xml as a series of folders which makes inserting a new field a snap.  I thought it was notepad ++ but I just downloaded it here at my new job and it's only displaying a traditional xml <tags> type of format.

Does anyone know which xml editor I'm describing here?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

X-ray for Geodatabases/ArcCatalog, perhaps? I can't get it to run on my security-limited system, but it has fans.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Dana- I too have struggled with x-ray, so I know it wasn't that.

Dana Nolan

eta moments later:  Microsoft XML Notepad.  available here:  Download XML Notepad 2007 from Official Microsoft Download Center 

Here is a shot of an ArcGIS/ArcCatalog generated xml file of a table.  I need to add a few fields.  Lets say I needed to add a new field above the field called NAME.  I just insert a new folder where I want it, call it what I want it, define it like I want, save it, import it back into ArcGIS and I'm good to go....

That should just about do it....
Sizige
by
New Contributor II

Joe,

I just saw this post and that is what I use to use as well.  It was so nice to tweek the geodatabase design.  However  the tool is not available any more from the microsoft page.  I have tried other XML editors, but they strip off the ESRI part, and it won't import.  Have you found one that works other than the XML notebook?

Regards

Allen Wright

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Joe hope you are well, 
please could you kindly help me!

i try to import XML into SDE (SQL server) database but it failed and give me the following error:
"Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'R42_pk'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.GISVW_SAFE_DISTANCE'. The duplicate key value is (1).] [texttXML.DBO.GISVW_SAFE_DISTANCE]"

Software: ArcGIS Pro2.6.2

0 Kudos