Can you create custom number formatting in Survey123?

Jump to solution
09-18-2017 12:59 PM
RebeccaFuda
New Contributor III

I have a barcode field in my survey form.  When the barcode is scanned, the resulting number is always in the format XX-XXXX.  On some devices used within my agency, the camera is not sensitive enough to scan the barcode, so the number must be entered by hand.  Is there a way to set the formatting for this field so that the dash is always there, and the user can simply enter the 6 digits?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

2 things to note:

1) You can set a text format as you describe by using an Input Mask - see Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS .  What you've described might fit 00-0000

2) The upcoming version of Survey123 (2.4) will have some improvements in barcode scanning.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

2 things to note:

1) You can set a text format as you describe by using an Input Mask - see Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS .  What you've described might fit 00-0000

2) The upcoming version of Survey123 (2.4) will have some improvements in barcode scanning.

BRYANHERRON
New Contributor III

OK, so in my industry we have what we call Engineering Stationing. Say you have a centerline of a highway and the start of the highway at some road intersection is 0+00, 100' down the road there's a manhole, that manhole is at 1+00. 3000 feet down the road there's an intersection, that would be 30+00. This is Engineering Stationing and in Excel the cell formatting is XX+XX so whatever you type in the "+" is always the 3rd digit from the right. Unless you allow for decimals and change the formatting. So how do I put this into Survey123 for these results on the input?

1+23

12+34

123+45

1234+56

12345+67

0 Kudos