ArcGIS Online: Tile Map Layer not displaying over basemap

09-17-2017 11:18 AM
IsobelDavey
New Contributor

Hello,

I created a tile map layer from something I was working on on ArcGIS desktop to upload to ArcGIS online and show my colleagues. However, when I try to upload it over a basemap, it says that they are in different co-ordinate systems. I have tried different scenarios of re-projecting in desktop to change the co-ordinate system but it still won't display. My vector layers are in the same system and appear fine over the top of the basemap. Was wondering if I'm missing something, or if it is even possible to display a tile layer over a basemap on online?

Thankyou!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the coordinate system then? When you said reprojecting, did you use the Project tool in arctoolbox? The Define projection tool does nothing, unless the file didn't have a defined coordinate system.  

Is the target coordinate system Web Mercator?

Any details might help resolve your issue, but in the interim, see the Tips for creating tile packages... for example

Choosing a coordinate system

The data frame that you cache can use any coordinate system. However, if you will be overlaying your tile package with another tile package, you should use the same coordinate system for both. This also applies if you are overlaying your package with tiles from an online mapping service. ArcGIS Online services, Google Maps, and Microsoft Bing Maps all use the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) projected coordinate system.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Isobel, 

Thanks for asking your questions and welcome to the GeoNet community! I wanted to let you know that we're moving your question to the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=cf0568ce-7af7-434e-... space a so our Esri and user subject matter experts can further help answer this and future questions.  So you're aware on how and where to post your questions, here's a few quick tips and reminders:

• First, use the GeoNet search (top right corner by your profile icon) to search and see if your question has already by asked/answered previously.
  • If not, than we suggest reviewing the GeoNet Community Structure, to find the most relevant space to post your question. 
  • The GeoNet GeoNet Help group is for questions and tips on how to use the GeoNet community platform not the Esri ArcGIS platform. Following steps 1 & 2 above will give you the best results for getting Esri product questions answered.
  • This GeoNet 101 "How to Ask Questions on GeoNet" post is also a helpful guide to asking questions: https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...

Thanks again for contributing and I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
0 Kudos