Hosted Map Service Fails to Refresh

Jump to solution
09-12-2017 07:08 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a hosted 10.5.1 map service, here: MapServices/fsmPublicMapViewer (MapServer) 

Changes to this map service (e.g. add layer, change default visibility, etc.) are not reflected when I re-open the map in MapViewer. I have checked and set the refresh rate for the layer in AGOL to 1 minute and no luck.

Thanks in advance,

rGibson

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Russell,

If you add the map service URL to the web map and don't change anything, like symbology, then the web map will pull the data (layers) and symbology right from the Map Service: MapServices/fsmPublicMapViewer (MapServer)  The web map will be able to see new layers or symbology set to the map service as no settings per layer will be stored in the web map. If any layer specific content is saved to the web map, a schema of the map service will be saved in the web map, and manging symbology and layers through the map service won't be possible.

Let me know if you have questions,

-Kelly

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Are you saving the changes within Web Map viewer? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joe. All changes occur in the local mxd and then republished to the locally hosting service.

Russell Gibson,

Director, Information & Technology Services,

City of Fort Smith, AR

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

can you provide a screenshot of your configs for hosting the service? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Specifically?

The updates are reflected at the REST endpoint, etc.

Thanks again.

r

Russell Gibson

Director, Information & Technology Services

City of Fort Smith, AR

479-788-8919

rgibson@fortsmithar.gov

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Can you share your webmap?

Was the service added as the full map service or as layers within the map service?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Full map service.

https://gisapps.fortsmithar.gov/arcgis/rest/services/MapServices/fsmPublicMapViewer/MapServer

Russell Gibson,

Director, Information & Technology Services,

City of Fort Smith, AR

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Should I open a support case for this issue, Kelly?

Thanks

rGibson

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Yes, or share the web map that you are using. Web Maps create a specific schema when accessing layers. If the underlying data is updated, sometimes the web map is unaware of the changes and doesn't submit calls to the new layers or features. In order to verify if this is the issue, i suggest looking at the specific web map.

If you add the map service to a new web map, does the new data appear?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

http://fsm-ar.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4a39661e35c343c9b0977351c5e2044e 

Yes, if I add the service to a new web map, the updates appear. Also, if I preview the rest endpoint in the Javascript viewer, the update appears as well.

0 Kudos