Layer missing from legend after creating custom symbology

09-13-2017 09:01 AM
TaylorBruecher1
New Contributor II

I created a legend, then changed the symbology of one of my layers.  I used the Expression Builder in the Symbology pane to create custom symbology and the layer disappeared from my legend.  It is listed in the legend tree in the Contents pane, but isn't showing up in the legend. I deleted the legend and recreated it, and the layer still isn't showing in the legend. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Taylor,

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? 

In the contents under Drawing order, are you seeing your items under the Legend box?

0 Kudos
TaylorBruecher1
New Contributor II

This is what I'm seeing in the legend tree:

Bendele_Streams is the layer with custom symbology.

This is the legend that shows:

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hmmm, that's weird. I haven't used a custom symbology like that I suppose. Is the only custom aspect with it related to the expression? And I assume it shows up properly in map view (and layout view) - the symbols that is?

0 Kudos
TaylorBruecher1
New Contributor II

Correct.  Everything is showing up correctly, other than the legend.  

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Interesting. I just made my layer into a custom symbology using the Arcade Expression builder and same thing happened to me. The layer disappeared in the legend.

Maybe this is actually a bug?

0 Kudos
TaylorBruecher1
New Contributor II

Perhaps.  I'm just working around it by copying the layer and manipulating it without using the Expression Builder so it will display in the legend and match the map symbology.

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue, as you TaylorBruecher_EAA. I was quite pleased using an Arcade expression to help symbolize my data, but it's sort of useless if the layer doesn't also show up in the legend.

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

This is a bug that will be fixed in the next release of ArcGIS Pro.  Classes, unique values, etc. generated from Arcade expressions should be present in the legend.

Craig Williams

Product Engineer

Esri

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Craig, do we know approximately when the next release will be?

0 Kudos