How to keep existing contour lines attributes after running the Feature to Polygon process

09-06-2017 02:18 PM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have contour lines for elevations ranging from 0 ft to 100 ft. Each contour line has many lines for each foot in the contour feature. I want to try to convert these lines to a polygon that way I could categorize each foot as a polygon  instead of as a line in my map. I figured this can be accomplished by running the Features to Polygon processing tool which does convert the lines to polygons but doesn't keep the Elevation field in the resulting attribute table. How can I accomplish this but keep my Elevation field in my resulting table

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A picture would help, but a Spatial Join would be the most obvious way to combine attributes, unless there is a common identifier field, then you could use an Attribute Join

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

If I were you , I will create DEM and make its symbology as Classified with Class Range equal to Contour Interval.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you close the lines (for example by adding a clip line to the dataset, you can make polygons, but then each polygon would have lines with different contours around it? 

I agree with Abdullah Anter‌ that a much easier approach would be to interpolate the contours to a surface using a tool like Topo To Raster, classify the data into ranges using Slice, use Zonal Statistics As Table against the surface to get the min and max values of each zone, and then run Raster To Polygon and Join Field to add the min and max of each zone back to the polygons. (Great idea for a little Model Builder demo!)

0 Kudos
JasonSmith13
New Contributor

Scott did you find a solution to your question. I have the same problem.  It seems that since the feature to raster tool has the option to save attributes it should save them.   

0 Kudos
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes I did but I don't remember at the moment how. I posted this question last year

0 Kudos