AnsweredAssumed Answered

Visualizing features in Javascript 4.x (laggy map)

Question asked by lageplan on Aug 20, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 by lageplan

Hi,

im working with the Javascript API 4.4 visualizing features on the map depending on a query.

The map is lagging while panning and zooming depending on the amount of features / size of the browser window and level of zoom. I am using Chrome as a browser. 

I tried 2 things to visualize the features:

1. Load the feature layer and do a definitionExpression by property afterwards.  - This seemed to be a bad idea because when panning the map the query was executed again to fetch the features from the server.
  2. Create a query on the feature layer with a definitionExpression and than loop through all features on the feature service and add them to a graphicLayer.
rooms.queryFeatures(query1).then(function(result) {
    for (i = 0; i < result.features.length; i++) {
       addGraphicsToLayer(result.features[i]);
    }
    roomsGraphic.visible = true;
});

The addGraphicsToLayer() handles the symbolization based on attributes of the feature. Following the feature is added to the GraphicsLayer

roomsGraphic.add(feature);

In both cases the map gets laggy while in 3.x i was able to create a smooth map with even more features from other services using "mode: esri.layers.FeatureLayer.MODE_SELECTION" (Feature Service 3.x)  on each feature layer.

Is there another possibility to visualize features with a better performance on the view or am i missing something else?

Thanks, 

Wiard

Outcomes