Arcgispro can i programatically geocode with a custom locator

08-06-2017 01:20 PM
mikeharol
New Contributor III

I am able to follow along with the example of geocoding using the ArcGIS Online geocode service.  I would like to do something similar with my local address locator for offline geocoding.  I assume this is possible as this functionality is available in the search/locate tool that is part of ArcGIS pro.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Mike, what have you ruled out in the help topic(s) on geocoding?

0 Kudos
mikeharol
New Contributor III

HI Dan:

My problem is that those tools are not accessible from the API.  I will play around with building a custom python tool but i fear it will be less responsive than i like.  

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike, can you list the functions (find candidates, geocode (single and batch), reverse geocode, get suggestions etc.) that you are looking for?  If you have a geocode service these things are already available via the REST API.  Do you need these functions with a file-based locator without standing up a service?

0 Kudos
mikeharol
New Contributor III

My understanding is the rest api requires a service so not available offline/arcgis server.  What I would like to be able to do is to read in my custom locator and then simply use it without the latency or expense of a service.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike can you describe your workflow, for example the type of fieldwork that is happening off-line.

The Tasks framework has plans for en embedded control for example that may satisfy your requirement.

0 Kudos
mikeharol
New Contributor III

I have a couple of workflows, not field related. More LOB where i am geocoding to parcel centroids. 

0 Kudos