Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcgis has stopped working........... install

08-04-2017 10:35 PM
JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

I've seen some people with issues where the program stops working and gets the 'arcgis has stopped working' prompt. I'm in a different boat. I just purchased the personal edition and I'm looking to install it on this computer. I'm working towards my certification so I've already had the program installed on a different computer. However, I wanted to install this new license on my desktop PC. When I go to run the .exe of Arcgis Desktop 10.5.1 it immediately returns the prompt "Arcgis desktop has stopped running". I am running Windows 8.1, have 8GB of RAM, 4.6 GHz, GTX 1060 video card with the latest driver. I have tried to run the exe file as administrator, I have tried to run the compatibility mode. I have tried to run it with the firewall turned off and I tried to install it to a different drive. I have even tried to run several other exe files with the same results. At this point I am out of ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance! 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You get "Installation support" along with ArcGIS for Personal Use. You should contact the Esri Customer Service to walk you through the installation.

https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-for-desktop-installation-support?sr=search&searchId=52a28f0...

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Also check to see if you have the April 17, 2017 update for 8.1... software requirements

JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

Thanks for the replies. I've installed all the latest Microsoft updates and still no difference. I'm aware of the tech support (although I couldn't submit a ticket) so I have to wait for chat which is only open from M-F. Was just hoping maybe somebody here had an obvious solution that I may have been missing. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry if I sounded rude. There could be some issues (e.g. issue with Install Media, Firewall/antivirus) which could be resolved when the support team will have a look at your machine.

Meanwhile, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later must be installed prior to installing ArcMap.

Check your computer's ability to run ArcMap

Think Location
0 Kudos
JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

Not at all, I didn't take it that way. You were just pointing out something many people probably don't realize they have as a subscriber. I'll just be patient and take care of this on Monday. Thanks for the input! 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Jeremy, I don't have moderator permission in this space, so I couldn't convert the conversation to a question, but you may want to try to convert it (if it lets you).  Although you did get responses, questions tend to get a few more "views", especially on weekends (by users like us, not necessarily by Esri staff).   As a question, you can also help others by coming back and marking the answer that was the closest the answer, or providing a summary, so the next person searching can find the answer.  A good post/comments to read thru when new to posting (or even a veteran to posting) https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...‌   I hope you are able to resolve this on Monday.

As to you issue, you mentioned that you can't run any .exe on the machine without getting an error?  I skipped over win 8.x (or didn't have it long) but if no .exe it sounds like there is a setting in the OS that is preventing things from running. Have you tried a browser search on the  issue?

JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

Browsing over my edit options, it doesn't appear that I can change it to a question. I might be missing it. Thanks for the reply. I don't have an issue with any other exe files, it's only the ESRI ones. I have downloaded several ESRI files and they've all had the same issue. It still could be a security setting. One thing I noticed doing a search is that some users were having issues with the program stopping was having updates Opengl. But I have the latest driver so that shouldn't be an issue. 

I'll certainly post a summary of the solution if/when I get one tomorrow. I know what you mean, it's aggravating finding a thread that describes exactly what you're trying to fix but the OP failed to update it. If I can figure out how to change this to a question, I'll do that too. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jeremy, I would have to agree with Rebecca on windows 8.1. I would change your operating system... but I have read enough threads and posts elsewhere that sometimes a new machine with an up dated operating system is the way to go.  So to test, find such a machine and try your workflow with your data on it to rule out something that esri has no control over.

0 Kudos
JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

Hi Dan. I completely see the point of trying something different. However, I was running the same program with a 6 month license from one of the ESRI books on my laptop with no issue. I would rather have this program on my desktop PC but both PC's are running the exact same OS so I know Windows 8.1 64 bit isn't an issue. Upgrading to Windows 10 is beyond what I'm willing to do, worst case scenario I'll go back and use my new license on my laptop. 

If it means anything, I downloaded the exact same exe file on the laptop and I never got the "........stopped working" prompt. 

If anything at this point, I'll reinstall 8.1 on my desktop PC because that tends to fix everything. In fact, I might try to do a system restore back a few months ago to see if it does anything. 

0 Kudos