Creating assignments and prepopulating fields on the fly

08-02-2017 07:58 AM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

I want to be able to create assignments on assets and I want the asset id to be part of the assignment record. I know that I could do this through bulk loading of assignments (populating ID or description with the asset id). However, on the fly it has to be manually done. This is what I have found.

If I configure the popup to show the asset id in the title and I click on the asset the popup shows the asset id with the approximate address underneath that value. If I click on Create Assignment it populates the Location with the asset id only. Before the popup closes I could copy the address value out and past it into the description.

If I configure the popup to show nothing in the title and I click on the asset the popup shows the address at the top but it does not pass that address into the Location box. However, if I click on a second asset (as if I was creating multiple assignments), it does not show the popup but it passes the address into the Location box. In this case, I'm getting the address but I can't even see the asset id to copy into the ID or Description box.

A workaround is to position the asset id field near the top of my popup and when it opens copy everything to the description box and then copy/paste from there into the appropriate boxes. 

105 WALL ST
METER_NUMBER

This works and I can train my dispatchers to do it this way but like anything done manually there is a greater chance of mistakes vs an automatic method.

I would like to be able to "map" the fields from my popup to the "fields" in the assignment.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback on Workforce; your request to map the fields from a popup for an asset layer to the fields in an assignment is something we've heard before.  I'll make sure your information is added to the issue in our repo.

Your solution is essentially how to solve this today through the app.  I agree that, with anything done manually there's a greater chance for mistakes vs the information being populated automatically.  This is something we're looking at supporting, but I don't have a time frame or release for it at this time.

If I configure the popup to show nothing in the title and I click on the asset the popup shows the address at the top but it does not pass that address into the Location box. However, if I click on a second asset (as if I was creating multiple assignments), it does not show the popup but it passes the address into the Location box. In this case, I'm getting the address but I can't even see the asset id to copy into the ID or Description box.

This sounds like a bug that I'll work in trying to reproduce.

Feel free to contact us either through Geonet or the Feedback alias within the app.

thanks,

Craig

ShanaLowe2
New Contributor

@CraigGillgrass  I see this is an old post but it does not look like this capability is available.  I think this would be a useful tool if you can click on an asset and create a related assignment or as least pass some information from the asset to the assignment.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ShanaLowe2 to clarify

you'd like to either

1. Click on an asset and create an assignment that is related to the asset.  Related in terms of the GlobalID of the asset being stored on the assignment?  Or related through a relationship class?
  2. Pass some other information from the asset to the assignment. Would this be the same asset information for every assignment?  Or would would different information be passed each time an assignment is created?

We have discussed supporting a field mapping from the asset to the assignment to store the GlobalID of the asset on the assignment. The purpose of this field mapping would be to create an url scheme that would allow the asset to queried for and opened when Workforce launches Collector/Field Maps/Survey123.  But, no upcoming plans to support a more exhaustive field mapping.

0 Kudos