AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using Python to create an object attribute from a rule attribute

Question asked by BCBD_GIS on Jul 27, 2017
Latest reply on May 2, 2018 by CLau-esristaff

I am trying to write a python script that will create a new object attribute containing the parcel area for any number of parcels I’ve selected in the scene. I know I need to use Export (Reporting) python script to fetch the value of a rule attribute.

Proposed method:

1. Select the desired parcels in the scene
  2. Run a python script that assigns the CGA rule “calculateParcelArea.cga” to each of the parcels, generates the models using “calculateParcelArea.cga”, and reports the area in the Parcel_Area row, under the sum column.
  3. The python script then fetches the reports for each of the parcels, creates a new object attribute named ‘parcelArea’ for each parcel, and assigns the reported value.

So far I’ve written a regular python (Module: Main) script that assigns the “calculateParcelArea.cga” to the selected parcels, generates the models with areas saved to rule attribute ‘parcelArea_Calc’, and reports the value.

I’m having difficulty with the Export (Reporting) python module. Can someone help me make sense of this? How do I bring the existing script into the Export (Reporting) python module to complete the task?  

Thanks!

Python script and CGA rule below:

_____________________________________________________________________________________

'''

Created on 2017-07-26

@author: bcbd

'''

from scripting import *

# get a CityEngine instance

ce = CE()

def parcelArea():      

shapes = ce.getObjectsFrom(ce.selection, ce.isShape)

for shape in shapes:

ce.setRuleFile(ce.selection(), 'calculateParcelArea.cga')

# assign CGA rule calcParcelArea

ce.setStartRule(ce.selection(), 'Lot')

ce.generateModels(ce.selection())

if __name__ == '__main__':

parcelArea()

pass

_____________________________________________________________________________________

/**

* File:    calculateParcelArea.cga

*/

version “2017.0”

attr parcelArea_Calc = geometry.area

Lot -->

report("Parcel_Area", parcelArea_Calc)

print("Parcel_Area: " + parcelArea_Calc)

Attachments

Outcomes