AnsweredAssumed Answered

What's Up with SpatialDataFrame Documentation?

Question asked by bixb0012 Champion on Jul 19, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 by bixb0012

Am I missing something or is the SpatialDataFrame documentation quite incomplete?  According to the documentation, there are < 20 properties and methods for SpatialDataFrame class, but when I instantiate a SpatialDataFrame there are >250 properties and methods.  I understand a SpatialDataFrame might inherit properties and methods from other classes, but 230 without any documentation?

There are numerous issues I see with SpatialDataFrames, but the one I know will cause problems right away is multiple "shape" properties.  When importing a feature class into a SpatialDataFrame, a property named "SHAPE" is created that returns a GeoSeries.  Additionally, there is a "shape" property that comes from a pandas DataFrame that returns the dimensionality of the DataFrame.  Having "SHAPE" and "shape" properties on the same object will inevitably cause confusion and coding mistakes.

There are some neat/nice features added with 1.2, but I really think the product has gotten way ahead of the documentation. 

Outcomes