Survey123 crashing when attempting to add image

07-11-2017 09:00 AM
BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

Is anyone else experiencing issues when attempting to add an image to a survey? Specifically, adding a previously captured image, i.e. Select an Image (folder icon) brought up the following issues: 

First, I had to find the location where my default camera (Samsung Android device) was storing images. The default was /storage/emulated/0/Pictures, my images were at /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera. I do not believe this was the case in field app version 2.0.56, but I could be mistaken. I didn't test for this issue in 2.1.9.

Second, anywhere from 6 to 10 images will load and scroll, then the screen will go black and the app crashes. I do have hundreds of photos in this folder, but I'd guess that's pretty normal for most users. The default sort order may be ascending by name or date/time, but either way the most recent photos are (inconveniently and inaccessibly) buried at the bottom. A descending sort would be nice, but the app crash would still be an issue.

Potentially important info:

Android version 6.0.1

Survey123 field app version 2.2.15

Similar issues: Image Selection in Survey123 App (see comments as well)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

We have experienced variants of this issue (that we are looking into) - but not this exact one. Could you provide me with the exact device model you are using? Thanks

BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

It's a Samsung Galaxy S5, specifically model SM-G900V.

0 Kudos
BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

A secondary issue, perhaps related to this, has come up.

Photos taken within the app are now not uploading, resulting in a 'Code 400' send error (edit: with no additional message). The rest of the survey is sent, but the image is not attached. This occurs regardless of whether the survey is sent immediately or saved for later. I do have a strong wifi connection, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I was able to attach and send a photo with this device and app version prior to changing the default storage location. Restoring the default does not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

Okay, this secondary issue was resolved by deleting the survey and downloading a fresh copy. Don't know why/how.

0 Kudos
BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

Updates for field app version 2.3.29:

Default camera file location may be resolved.

I cleared out a bunch of memory to see if that was contributing to the app crash issue, but it is still occurring.

0 Kudos
MarcoAmaya2
New Contributor III

i update to survey123  2.3.29 and  still can't scan barcodes , the problem is the same the camera doesn't get focus. i tried  samsung galaxy j1, lg k10 and is the same.

if i use a barcode reader app it works fine in both device.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Marco,

On the barcode issue, improvements got delayed to 2.4 due to a few implementation issues that caused it to be finished after we had to stop development on the release.

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Braden. We are still looking into the crash issue and will incorporate your feedback. These crash issues are tricky to reproduce and troubleshoot, so please bear with us.

Thanks for all your feedback.

BradenBurkholder
Occasional Contributor

No sweat. So far none of my users (most are using iOS) have encountered or reported this issue, just me.

0 Kudos